Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Traveling Alone: The Perhaps-Not-So-Interesting and Probably-Entirely-Too-Honest Thoughts and Experiences of a 21-Year-Old American Girl Traveling Europe By Herself For the Very First Time, Told in Six Episodes. EPISODE THE SECOND


I bought a coffee, then settled in, and the ferry left port not too much later. It rocked more than I was expecting it to. Then again, it IS the Irish Sea. I read some. Slept some, when I realized that other people were sprawling on the sofa-like seats and doing so too. I once asked the older couple just down from me if they might watch my bag while I went to the toilet. Toilet. I still have to consciously make myself use that word instead of “bathroom.” They weren’t impolite, but I don’t know that they were thrilled to have been bothered.

I decided to eat lunch on the ferry, since I wasn’t sure I would have much time to grab food anywhere else along the way. The ferry was scheduled to dock at 11:30 a.m., so at 11:00 I made my way back over to the cafĂ© (slightly more difficult this time because of the rocking—I felt like a drunk when I had to clutch the edge of the counter just to keep from falling over as I ordered). I stumbled back to my seat with my tray of a packaged ham and cheese sandwich, fruit Danish, and Coke, giving prayers of thanksgiving to heaven that I have never in my life gotten seasick. I know some people who might not have been faring too well by that point. I finished eating just before we docked.

I picked up my things, took the lift back down to the lower level, and walked down the gangway with everyone else, emerging at a terminal. People seemed to be moving toward a large set of glass doors leading outside, and I thought I had glimpsed on a sign somewhere that a shuttle would come to take us to the baggage claim area, so I moved toward it and asked a man in a neon green vest if this was the case. He confirmed, and said the shuttle should be arriving in five minutes. I stood out in the wind and watched a rather backpacker-type-looking European couple who seemed to be in their early thirties or so. They stood close together and talked softly. She removed an eyelash from his cheek. He brushed a wisp of hair away from her eyes and kissed her forehead. Something flipped over uncomfortably in my chest and I looked away.

The shuttle arrived about TEN minutes later and we all piled inside. I hoped I would have time to make my first train, which was supposed to leave at 12:32. A woman with a small, wiry-haired Jack Russell in a carrier bag sat across from me. I tried to fit my carry-on bag between my knees and ended up looking like I was very awkwardly straddling it, but before I could readjust, people sat down on either side of me and I could no longer move. So that was how the shuttle ride went.

We pulled up outside a building and unsquished off the shuttle. I glanced up and realized that the red letters above the door said something about Wales. Freaking Wales?! Was I in Wales? Really? Mental note to check that on a map sometime.

I entered the door and immediately began scanning the baggage claim belts. I glanced over to the side and saw a dark red bag on the floor. I approached it. Yep. The one dumped unceremoniously facedown on the ground was mine. I picked it up and headed for the exit, when I realized that there were two officers standing on either side of the doorway and people were either pulling out their passports or little cards. I pulled out my passport as quickly as I could and handed it to the woman I first came to. I was hoping to get the other one. Her face looked kinder. But I handed it dutifully to the harder-faced woman and waited. She looked at me, comparing me to my passport photo (which looks absolutely nothing like me anymore—the short-haired brunette in the photo probably didn’t look even remotely related to the girl with shoulder-length blonde hair and glasses standing in front of her).

“How long will you be here?” she said in a very tight and proper British accent.

“Uhh… two weeks,” I stammered. Something about having to think of answers to important questions on the spot always makes me nervous. And after I answered her, I realized my answer wasn’t even true because I’d be in the UK another eight weeks, total. Dumb.

“What are you doing here?” she grilled farther.

“Uhm, tourism,” I replied quickly with the generic answer they say you should always give to avoid having to answer more complicated questions.

“Where are you going?”

“I’ll be at Capernwray Bible School for two weeks—I’m actually studying at Oxford in a few weeks—but I’m staying in the north first—“ Digging a hole and getting nowhere. And probably making absolutely no sense.

“Do you have paperwork for that?”

Paperwork. Paperwork? Suddenly, the synapses started firing correctly again.

“I have an immigration letter,” I blurted.

“Right, let’s just see that, then,” she said brusquely. I begin to dig rather awkwardly through the folder in my bag sitting on top of the carry-on.

“D’you want to just step over here and look for it? Just give me a shout when you’ve got it.” I obliged, even though she still held my passport in her hand and something about walking away from it never sits well with me. I had to extract almost every single paper from the folder, but I finally found the letter and held it up. She saw me out of the corner of her eye and came over to look at it. Her eyes narrowed and she scanned the paper. My insides turned over. Were the dates right? Since the program didn’t start for another three weeks, was it going to be enough to get me into the country already? What if I couldn’t get through? I’d miss my train. Where would I stay? What if they refused to let me in? My thoughts started racing through various worst-case scenarios.

(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment