Monday, May 27, 2013

Traveling Alone: The Perhaps-Not-So-Interesting and Probably-Entirely-Too-Honest Thoughts and Experiences of a 21-Year-Old American Girl Traveling Europe By Herself For the Very First Time, Told in Six Episodes. EPISODE THE FIRST


Up to this point, my travels alone have consisted of a couple of flights to Ecuador—met on the other end by friends who might as well be family—and making my own arrangements and traveling to places within the States. So, to preface, this was my first time making my own travel arrangements and getting myself around in Europe, and somehow it just seemed… bigger, I suppose. More intimidating.

            I saw the rest of my May Term classmates off early Wednesday morning, and then had a day to myself in Greystones. Which mostly consisted of uploading my last photos from Ireland, packing, going into town for food, and finalizing travel arrangements with Jon’s help. Talked to Mom briefly and sorted out what I thought might be a ferry crisis, but it didn’t end up being one, fortunately. I’m still amazed at the way the timing all worked out. I didn’t know anything about my trains at all until I sat down with Jon that morning before I left, so it is sort of incredible that everything went off without a hitch.

            I woke up at 4:40 a.m. to finish my last minute packing, have time to shoot off a couple of messages, and get some breakfast before heading out by 5:40 to get to the train station before 6:00. I left Coolnagreina, bags in tow. Halfway through the ten-minute walk my arms were already starting to feel tired and I began to worry that I would be able to manage the bags all day long.

I took the 6:00 a.m. DART into Dublin—something I was well used to by that point since I’d done it probably five times while we’d been in Ireland. One-way fare is just a little over €5, so I purchased the ticket and asked the man behind the window if there would be cabs available outside the Connolly Street station. In the time we’d been in Ireland, I’d only ever gotten off the train at Pearse Station or at Tara Street, and so didn’t know. He informed me there would be plenty of cabs, and was nice enough to open a door for me so that I didn’t have to struggle with my ticket and then with getting the bags through.

The DART was fine. I was very sleepy and kept having small panic flashes that I would accidentally fall asleep and miss the Connolly Street stop. I fought it down, but the knot in my stomach wasn’t pleasant. I managed to get off at Connolly Street, and realized that it was even bigger than the Pearse Street station. I asked a man at an information desk where I could get a cab.

“Down the escalator on street level—they’re all right there,” he said, shifting his eyes to the next person almost before he’d finished talking to me.

“Thanks!” I called, lugging my bags through the terminal door. The escalator wasn’t working. Grand. Ah! A lift. That’ll do. I took the lift down to the street level and saw four or five cabs waiting. Perfect. I checked the time on my phone—I needed to be checking in at the ferry dock within the next few minutes. But I’d already crossed the river on the train, so it couldn’t be too much farther in a cab, right?

A black man who must have been French got out of the first cab I approached and put my bags in the back.

“Ferry port, please,” I told him, getting in the back of the cab. I listened to the Irish announcer on the radio station. A woman was talking about Caesarian sections.

“Which terminal?” were the only words he said during the course of the seven-minute drive. “Irish Ferries,” I replied, and watched as we wound around inside the docking area, following the signs for “Irish Ferries” and “Foot Passengers.” I recalled how, talking with Rebecca (one of the Coolnagreina employees), she had said that when she thought of taking a ferry, she thought of driving on, because that’s what you do on a ferry.

The cruise ferry was huge. It was a sunny day and I wondered what “adverse weather conditions” had caused them to cancel the swift ferry. We pulled up next to the port station and taxi man helped me get my bags out.

“Do you have change for fifty?” I asked, pulling out a fifty-euro note. I had wanted to be prepared, and also wanted to already have money with me when I came back through Ireland to catch my flight home instead of having to find an ATM. He asked for €52 and gave me €40 in change.

I checked in at the desk with no problems. The man gave me my boarding card for the ferry and an envelope with my name on it that he said contained my train tickets. I put a baggage claim tag on my big bag and asked him could I keep both the smaller one and my purse with me? He nodded and told me to go through and put my big bag on the belt. They waved me through the security check without so much as glancing through my smaller bags. I guess I must not look threatening.

Up the escalator to boarding. They checked my boarding card and told me to take the stairs, then saw my bag and said, “Ah, better use the lift.” So I did. I didn’t realize when I was actually on the ferry. It just looked like another building at first. I asked the man at an information desk where I was to go next and he said, “Just sit anywhere you like.” I felt dumb.

I settled into a spot near the cafĂ©. The cruise ferry was nice. And a sticker announcing free Wi-Fi caused me to immediately dig my phone out of my bag and begin to send off some messages. I was hoping I would find some more Wi-Fi throughout the day but couldn’t be sure, so I wanted to use it while I had it. Almost everyone at home was in bed, of course, but mom answered my text anyway. I felt slightly triumphant to have conquered the first two steps in my plan without a problem. The hardest part, though, I figured, was still to come: the trains. Which I still knew very little about. Only that, supposedly, all the rail fare should be covered under my SailRail pass through Irish Fairies, even though the details of it all were still not clear to me. I had only paid €50 total for the SailRail, but the train trip alone, when I looked it up separately, said it would cost over £60, which made no sense to me. I also knew I had to take three different trains. And that I only had ten minutes in one of the stations to change trains. This could prove interesting.

(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment