Tuesday, May 14, 2013

More Word Snapshots

More free writes!


5/8/13

            Growing up in South America, I’ve had an interesting perspective on the country of my nationality for most of my life. I’ve never really felt as though I belong anywhere. I did not belong in Ecuador (obviously—as if my pasty skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes didn’t make me painfully conspicuous walking down the streets of Quito), but when we moved back to a different place the U.S. after seven years out of the country, I felt like just as much of a foreigner here. Because after living for such an extended period of time in another country, and living with a community of other people who are not native to the country, you come to have a certain comfort in a place, even if you are, in fact, a foreigner. Tourism and short trips are much different. You do not have the time to reach that place of comfort and familiarity—the time to meet people and develop relationships. That is really at the heart of what it means to be a “foreigner,” in my experience. Once you begin to develop relationships with people, you begin to accept each other for who you each are, going beyond the superficiality of nationalities. The people I knew in Ecuador made it feel like home. The people I’ve known in Indiana make it feel like home. It may be cliché, and I’m sure others have said it before me, but “home,” to me, is people.



5/14/13

           I continued to pedal, and my quad muscles realized before it registered visually that the ground under my bike tires had begun to incline. The wind blasted across my body, hitting me from the right, then whipped around and charged me head on, wrapping around the bike and adding resistance on top of the steady incline of the road. Hadn’t this seemed so easy only a few moments ago? What had I gotten myself into? I love bike rides—I had hoped this would be so much easier than it was turning out to be. The motion of my legs began to slow. My thighs smarted and a burning sensation began to course through them. I tried ignoring it and pushed harder, pressing the pedals under my shoes, shifting so that only the balls of my feet were creating pressure and hoping to relieve some of the burn. Unfortunately, the burning increased exponentially instead, and before long I was moving so slowly that the front tire of my bike began to wiggle. Desperate, I pressed even harder, pain now searing through my thighs. I no longer saw the stone fences and the cottages, I didn’t hear the waves on the shore of the island, and I even stopped feeling the wind smacking my face—all I could think about were my screaming thighs. And then I realized, hopelessly, that I was not going to make it up this hill on my bicycle. With a frustrated outburst, I threw my leg over my bike seat with what felt like my last ounce of energy and landed with both feet on the pavement. I did not look forward to walking that bike up the hill. But at least my thighs had stopped screaming.


5/14/13

             Brittany clutched our bag of fish and chips. Devin forged her way across the street. Volkswagen. Peugeot. Audi. Only person in that car is in the passenger seat. No no, steering wheel. Crossing the street, heads bobbed first left, then right. Should have looked the other way first. Backwards. Everything is backwards. I can smell the fish. I can smell the warmth. Crossing the street. Where to stop? Gate. Black iron bars. Towering stone. Cathedral. Inviting? Foreboding?  Stern? Kind? Walking through. Grass. Flagstones. Incline. Eyes light on tables. Inviting. Crows on iron bars. Foreboding. Grease stains on the table. Good sign. Grey cloud blanket. Gust of wind rustles the paper wrapping. Steaming fish swims in warm, yellow chips. Beckoning. Spires watch. Breeze. More paper rustling. Break off fish. Movements seem to bounce off the walls. Brakes squeal. Engines roar outside the iron bars. Grab two chips. Bells chime three quarters of a familiar time-keeping tune. 

No comments:

Post a Comment