Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Loving to a Fault"

I just read this article, and if you have a few minutes, I think you should too:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-flood/jesus-homosexuality_b_1442195.html

It's a commentary on what a Christian's stance should be on the issue of homosexuality that I profoundly agree with. Considering the decision made in North Carolina just in the past 24 hours, I thought it was extremely appropriate and timely. I hadn't heard of Derek Flood before, but I'm a new fan, and you can bet your boots I now follow him on Twitter.

I think that one of the things I love most about the article is that he never shares what he personally thinks about the rightness or wrongness of homosexuality.

"Now you may have noticed that I didn't ever say what I thought about whether homosexuality was wrong or right. I didn't say because this is not about me and what I think. It's about us as Christians learning to care about what Jesus cares about."

My personal views on homosexuality have been in constant change ever since the first time I confronted the issue. And my views are still changing. Like Derek Flood, I think that, for now, I'm going to forego sharing my views on the subject in favor of sharing what I will strive for my actions to be.

"If we want to follow Jesus, then we need to have that same reputation of loving to a fault. We need to be so radically accepting that we are misunderstood and judged like Jesus. If we really do love Jesus, then we need to love like he did, so much so that it seems "scandalous" in the eyes the religious folks of our day, just like it did in his day."

Amen. Amen amen amen amen. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment