Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Follow-Up Thoughts on "World Changer"

A fellow student of mine who I greatly respect posted this as his Facebook status today after the World Changers convocation, and I wholeheartedly agree with him:

"I thought Kirk Cameron did well today. He spoke from his heart, and I admire that.

He encouraged others to stand for their convictions, and I applaud him for exemplifying that.

I may not have the same convictions as he does, but that doesn't mean that I won't affirm him as my brother.

I may disagree with him on his methods and some of his stances, but I will support his ultimate cause to serve God as best as you can with your life."

I also seriously do have this question, however:

In response to the ceremony today, and I imagine in response to naysayers of Mr. Cameron, IWU's Twitter re-tweeted a student who quoted Romans 14:4 - "You cannot judge another person's servant. The master decides if the servant is doing well or not..."

I love the Romans 14 passage and have even talked about it here before. And I agree. It should be in God's hands to judge his servants. And, in this light, I am certainly guilty of judging the effectiveness of someone else's servant.

The cool thing is that, as much as I find this truth convicting, I also find it comforting.

If, however, we use this verse in support for certain inductees, I see a need to look at the other side of the coin as well. The master decides if the servant is doing well or not. Not IWU's board of trustees. Not IWU faculty or staff. Not IWU students. Not the church. Not Christians. The master.

It also poses the question: if it is God's to judge the effectiveness of his servants, why are we giving a "world changer" award in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment