Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Women of Lockerbie

As I've said previously, I will have the privilege of playing the role of Hattie in my friend Emily's senior project, The Women of Lockerbie by Deborah Brevoort this April 12-14.

I read the script for the first time last fall. It's written in the style of a Greek tragedy and full of very poetic, symbolic, and flowing language. The more I read the script, the more I find in it. I hope you're planning to come see the show, because I think it's going to be fantastic. As a preview, however, I wanted to share a little bit about why I'm glad I'm involved with this production.


“When evil comes into the world
it is the job of the witness
to turn it to love.”

“If the sun never set
we would find no beauty in the sunrise.”

“And if hatred never pierced our hearts
we would not know the power of love.”

“Trust in the rising sun
and in the stars that shine at night.”

“And believe
that behind the suffering of the world,
there is a purpose
to everything.”

“My faith is hanging by a thread
again
ready to break.
How easily my faith is broken...”

“It breaks often, my faith.”

"But in the morning
when the first rays of sun hit my window...
it is restored."

“The world won’t let you keep your faith
but it won’t let you lose it, either.”

GEORGE: You are very strong.
I wouldn’t have been able to do that.
OLIVE: Sure you would have.
You find the strength to do what you have to, Mr. Jones.

“Hatred is love that’s been injured.
If you have hatred in your heart
it means you have love in it also.”

“We are going to wash the clothes, Mrs. Livingston.
To make our hearts pure again.”

“’Hatred will not have the last word in Lockerbie.’”

These lines are why I want to be a part of telling this story. My character does not deliver any of these lines, but I also know that the play would not be complete without the piece that Hattie brings to it. Hattie is like the rays of sunshine coming in through the window in the morning, but she’s also brave, willing to sacrifice, and very strong. I hope I learn some lessons from Hattie before we’re through.

No comments:

Post a Comment