Sunday, June 2, 2013

Traveling Alone: The Perhaps-Not-So-Interesting and Probably-Entirely-Too-Honest Thoughts and Experiences of a 21-Year-Old American Girl Traveling Europe By Herself For the Very First Time, Told in Six Episodes EPISODE THE FIFTH


             As I was mentally cursing every heavy item in my bag, a man behind me offered his help. I acquiesced, and he pulled the bigger bag into the entryway. He looked like a scruffier, slightly less handsome version of Robert Downey, Jr., wore fingerless gloves, and his dark, curly, salt-and pepper hair peeked out from under a brown cap. “Shall I drag it for you?” he offered.

“Sure, thanks,” I replied, grateful for his kindness. I followed him and my red bag through the car with my smaller blue one. “Is there a place for it, do you think?”

            “Perhaps back here,” he replied over his shoulder. He dragged it all the way through the car, and I followed. There was room on the back luggage rack, and he hoisted it up to perch on the second level.

            “Thank you, you’re very kind,” I told him, then sat myself and my blue bag down in a pair of unreserved seats while he took another ahead of me and across the aisle. The train started moving and I realized I was sitting facing backwards for the third time in a row. Not that it mattered I guess. That wasn’t any sort of bad omen. Right?

            The man came through asking for tickets, and I again produced my three little blue slips of paper. He flipped through them and handed them back to me without comment. Bless you, Irish Ferries SailRail ticket. Bless you. Never in my life have I been fonder of three little slips of paper. They hadn’t failed me the whole day.

            Robert Downey, Jr. got off at the first stop. I smiled at him as he walked past, silently thanking him for his help. I reprimanded myself for not opening my mouth to thank him again.

Now that I was comfortably sitting on my last train, I relaxed more than I had all day. The knot in my stomach still wasn’t completely gone, but at least it wasn’t forcing its way up my throat anymore. I was going to get to Lancaster. Almost half an hour before my cab had agreed to meet me. I marveled at how the timing of every step had worked out. It certainly wasn’t the result of my own planning. At least, not that I could tell. Now, if there was just an ATM at the Lancaster station, all my worries would be taken care of.

            After several stops, I heard the voice over the intercom again—we were close to the Lancaster station. The voice went on to announce changes and my ears caught “Windermere.” Windermere! I’ve been there. It must not be too terribly far away after all. Maybe it wouldn’t be too difficult to go and visit again?

            I piled my bags off the train without too much of an incident, and looked around for an ATM but didn’t see one. I still had 20 minutes before the cab had technically arranged to meet me, but I figured I’d poke my head out and check. Just in case. I followed the signs for “Way Out,” and found the door. I looked outside and saw several cabs, none of which read “Big Blue Taxi.” He probably just wasn’t here yet. I dragged my bags back inside with me to a lounge area. Should I wait here, maybe? I had to find an ATM. There was a little café at the back of the lounge, and I left my bags by a chair, ensuring I could still see them.

            The woman behind the counter at the café was intently counting change with the cash register drawer open. I approached rather slowly, waiting to see if she would look up. She didn’t. Was she too busy counting? I hesitated to speak or make a noise, in case doing so might throw off her count. Several seconds passed. She didn’t look up. Oooookay. I shifted just slightly. She jumped. I apologized. She laughed. I laughed.

            “What can I get for you?”

            “Actually—could you tell me—is there an ATM anywhere around here?”

            “Yes, just back over the bridge on the other side.”

            I thanked her, and went back to my bags. I really didn’t want to have to haul them over the bridge. Well. Not just that I didn’t want to. I wasn’t even sure I could, by this point. I decided to wait till the cab came, load the bags in the car, and then ask if I could run across the bridge to the ATM. Perfect.

            I decided to wait outside instead of in the lounge. Various people trickled out, getting into cars or cabs or crossing to wait at the bus stop. I situated my bags together and perched just on top of the small blue one, clutching my purse to my chest. Anne of Green Gables was now blonde and sitting at Lancaster Station.

            I watched the minutes tick by on my phone. Cabs kept arriving and pulling in next to the curb. The drivers would throw me inquisitive looks but I stared past them, straining to see if perhaps the next car would be my ride. It was 4:25 before I started formulating my backup plan: I would play Anne of Green Gables outside the station until no later than 4:45, and if the cab hadn’t appeared by that time, I would hire another cab, since there seemed plenty to spare.

            4:30.

            4:45.

(To Be Continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment